A blog about SQL Server, SSIS, C# and whatever else I happen to be dealing with in my professional life.

Find ramblings

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Current project---SSISUploader a dtutil hook

At my current engagement, we deploy SSIS packages to SQL Server. It is not the SSIS package store, but just SQL Server so they go into the msdb database. How that happens is through a manifest file that loads packages all into a single folder. Now, you can create folders and do all sorts of package management from the command line with the program dtutil.exe What'd be nice would be to have the ability to use the nice manifest file to specify "these are the packages I want to deploy" but to deploy them into a folder in the database and by the way, nuke anything that used to be in there" We've got old packages in production that would probably fail if they managed to get run but just on principle, they should be removed whenever we do a deploy.

So, more posts will be coming on this project I'm sure, but for now, I just wanted to taunt Microsoft's spelling champs.
"Error (0xC0014043) createing folder recursive1 in folder recursive0." Obviously I've boned something or I wouldn't be seeing that but my code is so far from alpha, I'm not worried.

The project will eventually be on codeplex, I've already staked out a project site http://www.codeplex.com/SSISUploader

No comments: