A blog about SQL Server, SSIS, C# and whatever else I happen to be dealing with in my professional life.

Find ramblings

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Powershell just replaced cmd

I typically install cygwin when I get a new machine so I can have
access to unix tools. We actually have unix boxen here so I usually
ssh over to one if I need to do some utility work. Sadly, one of the
things I miss is the unix command which
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Which_(Unix) It simply shows the path to
an executable that is in your path. Far better than trying to cd \;
dir /s csc.exe and then comparing those results to my $PATH to figure
out which C# compiler I'm invoking. Not that I'd so something like
that, mind you.

In powershell, it's built in! How awesome is that?

PS C:\>Get-Command csc

CommandType Name Definition
----------- ---- ----------
Application csc.exe
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\csc.exe

No comments: