A blog about SQL Server, SSIS, C# and whatever else I happen to be dealing with in my professional life.

Find ramblings

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition install CF

I pulled the trigger and finally bought my own MSDN license.  I wanted to take advantage of the 2010 upgrade deal and invest in myself as a software professional so "Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition" is now mine.

After a 4GB download, I double clicked on the install in my new Windows 7 VM and *boom*  "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"  If you look at the pricing for VSTS, you can understand how vexing that might be.  A few unfruitful days of "run as admin", resetting permissions, various compatibility modes, etc led me nowhere.  It was maddening, I could rename the file, set various flags on it but to no avail. I wasn't looking forward to downloading the file again but was set to do so when I took one last shot at google.  I searched for "en_visual_studio_team_system_2008_database_x86_dvd_x14-26465" which is the name of the EXE.  3 hits and http://thom.pantazi.com/AppListTool/view_InstallSet_list.asp was the winner.  As part of their install sequence, I see they mount that file. For whatever reason, when I downloaded the file, it was tagged as an EXE but hey, it's an ISO.  Why Windows 7 didn't say "this is an invalid binary, you tool" is beyond but hey, who cares?  I have Datadude installing!

No comments: