A blog about SQL Server, SSIS, C# and whatever else I happen to be dealing with in my professional life.

Find ramblings

Thursday, May 20, 2010

S#arp Architecture missing SharpArchApplicationWizard.dll

Big preface, I don't know diddly about NHibernate, MVC and the SharpArchitecture project.  I was simply looking for a simple CRUD builder.

While it's entirely possible this is user error, I tried to get started with SharpArchitecture and snagged the VS2008 version of the template only (no source).  Step 5 indicates I need to copy SharpArchApplicationWizard.dll from the download into the IDE folder.  Only problem is, for the 2010-05-10 release, it's missing that file.  Simple resolution is to grab the FullSourceAndTemplates build and then you can find the dll in the VisualStudioTemplate subfolder

Next issue is the templates.  I installed them as directed (Windows server 2003) but I cannot make Visual Studio acknowledge them.  I'll have to try this at home as I have little faith in the veracity of the work installs.  I have verified (Tools, Options, Projects and Solutions) that the value for User project templates location is set correctly "C:\Documents and Settings\bfellows\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates"

<pre>
C:\>dir /b "C:\Documents and Settings\bfellows\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\Web"
CrudScaffolding
CrudScaffoldingForEnterpriseApp
SharpArchApplication.vstemplate
SharpArchApplicationTemplate
SharpArchProject.ApplicationServices
SharpArchProject.Core
SharpArchProject.Data
SharpArchProject.Tests
SharpArchProject.Web
SharpArchProject.Web.Controllers
SolutionItemsContainer
ToolsSolutionItemsContainer
__TemplateIcon.ico

C:\>
</pre>  That one I can chalk up to user error (hooray).  Don't actually unzip the thing, drop the zip file into the C#\Web folder

And now I get this error
---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
---------------------------
A problem was encountered creating the sub project 'FundEditor.Tests'.  Access to the path 'C:\sandbox\FundEditor\FundEditor\FundEditor.Tests' is denied.
---------------------------
OK   
---------------------------

Not sure if that was a deal breaker but I clicked through.

Clicked F5 to run and build it.  No compilation errors but it did pop up a dialog indicating it was looking for
e:\WorkSpaces\Git\SharpArchitecture\Trunk\src\SharpArch\SharpArch.Data\NHibernate\NHibernateSession.cs
Found it in the FullSourceAndTemplates build and once found, it finally threw an exception

FluentNHibernate.Cfg.FluentConfigurationException was unhandled by user code and it won't copy the bits out but it said "Database was not configured through Database method"  Found this on StackOverflow but my lunch hour is up so I'll have to play another day.



No comments: