A blog about SQL Server, SSIS, C# and whatever else I happen to be dealing with in my professional life.

Find ramblings

Thursday, August 4, 2011

SQL Saturday 91, Omaha Call for speakers

I submitted 2 sessions for the Omaha SQL Saturday, #91 on August 27, 2011. I hope to be able to present on SQL CLR and SSIS but we will see what the cards hold. However, they have extended the call for speakers through Tuesday, 9 August. Go to the sign up page now and submit a session, any session. You probably are a terrible speaker, I know I am, but the only way we will get better is through practice, so submit. Share what you know for an hour, talk about PBM, deadlocks, why standard deviation is not a useful metric for a report---whatever you know is what you should talk about. If talking about security gets your engine going, then submit a session on security. Whatever it is that elicits your passion, jot down the main ideas you'd want people to know about it and submit that as a session.

Now that you're thinking about submitting a session, why do you want to go to Omaha, Nebraska?

  • Only state in the union with unicameral legislative body
  • Rub elbows with Warren Buffet
  • Omaha Sound
  • Henry Doorly Zoo---it's got a freakin' desert dome!
  • Old Market
  • Birthplace of Fred Astaire, Marlon Brando and Gale Sayers
  • Pay tribute to Rosenblatt stadium for a piece of college baseball history
  • A free day of top notch SQL Server training!

Getting there

Omaha is easy to get to. The primary airport for Omaha is Eppley Airfield. If you're in Milwaukee, DFW, Houston, Chicago, Denver or Phoenix, there's probably a direct flight there for under $150 (Milwaukee/Denver) to $250. I-80 and I-29 are the major interstates that service Omaha. It's an easy 3 hour drive from Kansas City and plenty of other places.

The Omaha crew is working hard to put on a fantastic show and I know I can't wait to be up there so please join me in speaking and attending this wonderful, free opportunity for SQL Server training.

No comments: